Hurricane Satellite (HURSAT) Data
Troubleshooting MPEG movie playing
- If the following instructions do not help you play the movies and you can
not figure it out, please do not contact us.
These movies are provided as a
convenience and we make no guarantee that they will play on a specific operating system or with any
specific software. Nor can we respond to every request to help diagnose problems.
- If you are able to fix said problem and the solution is not described below,
please notify us
so we can update this troubleshooting list.
- Windows & Windows Media player - The MPEG-2 files often work in Windows Media Player version 11. However, Firefox
and Internet Explorer seem to play these using the default Quicktime plugin, which will not work.
In this case, your options are to:
- Save the movie (right click, choose "Save Link As ..."
and save in a location) then open it with Windows Media Player, or
- Change the default action for MPG movies ...
Mac, Linux and Windows users - Download and install the
VLC media player, which has been verified to play the HURSAT MPG videos.
A website available through
provides more information and software available there has been found to play the HURSAT MPEGs.
For what it is worth, the MPEG files were created using
- Firefox v.2.0
- Select Tools -> Options.
- Choose the Content Tab
- Click "Manage..." under File types
- For the MPG, change the action to "Open with default application (Windows Media Player)"
- Older versions of Firefox
- Select Tools -> Options -> Downloads -> "View & Edit Actions ..." -> Select MPG, then click
"Change Action" and select "Open with default application".
indicates a link which will lead you out of the Federal Government webspace