Speleothems are mineral deposits formed from groundwater within underground caverns. Stalagmites, stalactites, and other forms may be annually banded or contain compounds that can be radiometrically dated. Thickness of depositional layers or isotopic records can be used to determine past climate conditions.
Obtaining Data at the World Data Center
Google Earth Map
Locate and download speleothem studies using a Google Earth map interface. Google Earth must be installed to use this search tool.
Search All Paleoclimatology Data
A free text search of our entire study archive.
- List of Speleothem Datasets by Title and Investigator
- List of Speleothem Datasets by Location
- Speleothem Datasets from Our FTP Site
- Shah et al. 2011 0-22K Speleothem Oxygen Isotope Data
- Cheng et al. 2009 8.2k Event Speleothem Oxygen Isotope Data, Text or Excel
- Smith et al. 2006 500-year Northern Hemisphere Speleothem Temperature Reconstruction, Text or Excel
Other Data Archives