GOSIC Terms of Reference
The following terms of reference for the Global Observing Systems Information Center (GOSIC) are based on those proposed by the Global Climate Observing System (GCOS) Data and Information Management Panel (DIMP) in 1996 and revised by the Global Observing Systems Joint Data and Information Management Panel in 1997.
To provide a central point of information and assistance for the GCOS, the Global Ocean Observing System (GOOS) and the Global Terrestrial Observing System (GTOS)* and partner programs distributed data and information system the GOSIC shall have the following terms of reference:
- Focus on information systems
- Provide access to a distributed directory of climate data and information, including links to the datasets
- Point to other centers and information systems of the major climate, ocean, and terrestrial research and operational observing programs
- Provide information on the GCOS, GOOS, GTOS*, and partner programs and plans including an inventory of data centers, sources, and experts
- Prepare documentation on the GCOS, GOOS, and GTOS* component programs and systems
- Disseminate information about standards and procedures
- Provide access, without holding datasets
- Present information as held in the centers, without either creating or modifying the presentation.
* Due to a lack of funding the GTOS is presently non-operational