The International Tree-Ring Data Bank (ITRDB) is the world's largest public archive of tree ring data, managed by NCEI's Paleoclimatology Team and the World Data Center for Paleoclimatology. Oversight is provided by the ITRDB Advisory Committee, chaired by Peter Brewer and including Keith Briffa, Ulf Büntgen, Ed Cook, Maria Ferrero, Henri Grissino-Mayer, Esther Jansma, Jonathan Palmer, and David Stahle. The ITRDB includes raw ring width, wood density, and isotope measurements, plus site growth index chronologies. Over 4,000 sites on six continents are included. Reconstructed climate parameters are also available for some areas.
Obtaining Data at the World Data Center
- Tree Ring Search Engine
Search through tree ring studies using Investigator, Title, Location Name, Tree Species, and Latitude/Longitude bounds.
- Interactive Map
Select study locations by region, proximity to a point, or text-based attributes.
- Google Earth Map
Locate and download tree ring studies using a Google Earth map interface. Google Earth must be installed to use this search tool.
- Search All Paleoclimatology Data
Access a free text search of our entire study archive.
- Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) Catalog Service for the Web
Harvest paleoclimatology study metadata records using an OGC web service.
- Recently Contributed Tree Ring Datasets (After December 1, 2016)
- List of Tree Ring Datasets by Title and Investigator
- List of Tree Ring Datasets by Location Name
- Tree Ring Isotope Datasets
- Program COFECHA Crossdating Quality Analysis
- Tree Ring File Formats and Terms
- Update History of the ITRDB
- XML Metadata Folder (Data Summaries for All Paleoclimatology Datasets)
Investigators who wish to contribute their data to the ITRDB can find information on contributing below. Data and study description information can be contributed by emailing decadal format data files to firstname.lastname@example.org. If the data files do not include header information, please also complete the metadata portion of our data contribution template (available at the link below) and email template along with the decadal format data files.
Other Data Archives
Additional sources for data and information on tree rings.
- Trieste 2008 Workshop Report on Tree Rings
- WSL Birmensdorf Worldwide Ringwidth and Density Data in WSL Format or ITRDB Decadal Format
- Drought Variability
- Climate Reconstructions
- Fire History Data (International Multiproxy Paleofire Database)
- Dendrochronology Program Library from University of Arizona Laboratory of Tree-Ring Research
- Lamont-Doherty Tree-Ring Lab Windows and Mac ARSTAN and More
- Introduction to Crossdating Created by Dr. Paul Sheppard
- University of Arizona Laboratory of Tree-Ring Research
- Cornell University Aegean Dendrochronology Project
- Dendrochronology Species Database
- Bibliography of Dendrochronology
- Multilingual Glossary of Dendrochronology
- Henri D. Grissino-Mayer's Ultimate Web Pages for Tree Rings and Tree-Ring Research
- Digital Collaboratory for Cultural Dendrochronology (DCCD)
- Wood Anatomy of Central European Species