Alphanumeric/Supplemental Data is unique to Level-III radar data that provides detailed information on
specific parameters for an identified storm cell.
Data types that show Alphanumeric/Supplemental Data:
- Storm Structure (NSS)
- Viewer: Displayed is the radar indicated storm center as a circle with its cell tracking ID
- Info/Data: A table displaying information on storm attributes which include maximum reflectivity, maximum velocity at lowest elevation angle, storm overhang, mass weighted storm volume, storm area base and top, storm position and storm tilt.
- Hail Index (NHI)
- Viewer: Hail potential is labeled as either probable (hollow triangle) or positive (filled triangle).
- Info/Data: A product designed to locate storms which have the potential to produce hail. Probable means the storm is probably producing hail and positive means the storm is producing hail.
- Mesocyclone (NME)
- Viewer: Displayed is the radar indicated mesocyclone center as a circle with its cell tracking ID
- Info/Data: This product is designed to display information regarding the existence and nature of rotations associated with thunderstorms. Numerical output includes azimuth, range, and height of the mesocyclone.
- Tornado Vortex Signature (NTV)
- Viewer: Displayed is the radar indicated Tornado Vortex Signature point as a circle with its cell tracking ID
- Info/Data: A product which shows an intense gate to gate azimuthal shear associated with tornadic-scale rotation.
- Storm Tracking Information (NST)
- Viewer: Displayed is the current storm location (bright color) the forecasted movement (darker shades) in 15 minute increments
- Info/Data: A product which shows the storm cell's current location and forecasted movement for each identified thunderstorm cell. This product is used to determine storm movement.
The Alphanumeric Properties window enables you to view the information (alphanumeric and supplemental) for the
previously listed data types. To open the window, click View in the viewer menu, then
click Alphanumeric Prop. (CTRL-A also works).
Editable options in the Alphanumeric Properties window:
Show Strom ID: Turns on or off the storm cell tracking identification tag.
Halo: Turns on or off the dark "halo" around the cell tracking ID text.
Color: Displays a color chooser window to customize the color of the displayed variable
(Changing the color will affect both the point and the cell ID).
Size: Adjust the size of the point and cell ID on a scale from 1 to 5.
Show Attribute Table: Brings up a window displaying the Alphanumeric Attribute Table
(more information below).
Show Supplemental Data 1 and 2: Given the data type your are viewing, each button brings up
a window with additional data specific to the alphanumeric data property being viewed. Another way to bring up
the Supplemental Data 1 window is to click View from the viewer menu, then click Supplemental Data.
Export Attribute Table: Brings up a save option window to export the Alphanumeric Attribute Table
as either a CSV (Comma Delimited), WKT (Well Known Text), or SHP (ESRI Shapefile).
You also have the option to draw several different radar backgrounds that corresponds with the time of day of the
dataset you are viewing. To do this simply click on a radar image in the Draw Radar Background
list then click Load.
Below is an example of the Storm Structure alphanumeric data being displayed with the Base Refelctivity.
Go To The Data Exporter Tutorial