Only data from the WMO RSMCs are provided by this subset. For data from other agencies (e.g., JTWC, CMA, etc.), please access the complete IBTrACS dataset.
Please register to be notified of: new releases, data set errors and other important information about IBTrACS.
CaveatsThe following caveats should be considered prior to using IBTrACS:
- BUGS - Dataset errors will be noted on the status page.
- Due to the disparity between storm positions prior to 1970, some tracks during that period may not be properly merged.
- Due to the disparities in time between sources, some dates and times were changed in one source to match another. However, it is not clear which source had the correct time or date. From the original 16,539 storm tracks, only 255 tracks required time adjustments.
NCDC Data set identification
- IBTrACS has been assigned NCDC data set identification (DSI) 9637
- FGDC Metadata is also available
The following formats limit data to only one position and one intensity. Rather than perform an average, we choose to provide the WMO Official intensities and positions. For access to all available intensities and positions, users whould access the complete IBTrACS dataset.
|Format||Data File Access|
|ATCF||All storms (2 MB)||Storms by basin||Storms by year|
|CSV||All storms (2 MB)||Storms by basin||Storms by year|
|cXML||All storms (2 MB)||Storms by basin||Storms by year|
|HURDAT format||All storms (1 MB)||Storms by basin||
Storms by hemisphere
NH - SH
|netCDF||All storms (2 MB)||Storms by basin||Storms by year|
|WMO||All storms (2 MB)||Storms by basin||Storms by year|
- When accessing numerous files simultaneously, files are tarred and gzipped to simplify downloads.
Data files are available in the following ways:
- By storm - Each storm is in a separate file.
- All storms - All IBTrACS storms in one file.
- Storms by basin - All IBTrACS storms for a particular basin (all years).
- Storms by year - All IBTrACS storms for a particular year (all basins).
- Storms by hemisphere - All IBTrACS storms for a hemisphere.
- Description of the storm serial number convention
- A cross referencing table is available which maps IBTrACS serial numbers to WMO storm names and other storm identification.
- Format descriptions