1. The high temperature at Glasgow, MT was just 34 F on May 8, 2002. The broke the previou cold high temperature record of 41 set in 1927. This was also the third day in a row with a record cold high maximum temperatures and three days so far in May 2002 had high temperatures below 40 degrees which ties the May record set in 1967.
2. The low temperature on May 9th, 2002 dipped to 20 F at Pocatello, ID. This broke the old record of 27 set in 1981 but also tied the record for the coldest temperature recorded in May. The other date when is was 20 F was on May 1, 1972.
3. The temperature fell to 26 F at Grand Junction, CO on May 9, 2002. This shattered the daily record of 33 set in 1990 but also tied the all time coldest May temperature which was also set on May 2, 1970. In addition, this is also the coldest temperature recorded for so late in the season.
4. At Worland and Riverton, WY the temperature dropped to 20 and 19 degrees F respectively on May 9, 2002. These were daily records for both stations but it was also the coldest temperature reported for both stations so late in the season.
5. At Belgrade Field, MT the temperature fell to 14 F on May 9, 2002. This broke the daily record of 26 set in 1968 and also was the coldest May temperature recorded since records began for the station in 1948.
6. At the Bradley Intl AP, near Harttford, CT the temperature fell to 30 F on May 20th, 2002. This was a new record low for the date breaking the old record of 38 set in 1992 but also established a new record minimum for so late in the spring. The previous latest recorded freeze at Windsor Locks was May 18, 1984 when it fell to 31 degrees.
7. Dozens of individual station daily records low temperatures were set in the Midwest and East during the May 19-22 period. At Blue Hill. MA record cold temperatures were recorded on the 18th with 35 degrees F, on the 19th with 34 degree F, and the 20th had a record tying 37 degrees F. The 34 degree reading on the 19th was a record for the coldest so late in the season. The previoud latest 34 degree reading occurred on May 17, 1956 and 1957. Records for the station began in 1885.
8. On May 21, 2002 the temperature fell to 32 degrees F. at Moline IL. This broke the daily record of 33 degrees set in 1883 but also is a new record for the latest 32 degree temperature in Moline. The previous record for the latest 32 degree temperature was on May 20, 1954.
9. On May 21, 2002 the temperature fell to 27 degree F. at Muskegon, MI. This proke the previous daily record low for May 21st by a full 10 degrees F, the previous record was 37 degrees set in 1969. This is also the third day in a row with record lows at the station and also one of the coldest temperatures ever recorded for so late in the season. The coldest was a low of 27 degrees on May 27, 1961.
10. On May 21, 2002 teh temperature at McGrath, AK reached 83 degrees F. This broke the daily record of 73 set in 1973 and also was the fourth day in a row with record high temperatures.
11. On May 22, 2002 Pittsburgh, PA reported that this morning was the fourth time in five days that the station set a new record low temperature. The low on the 22nd reached 32 degrees F, breaking the old record of 35 set in 1895. Since records began for the station in 1870, only two dates later in the spring had temperatures at or below freezing , it was 32 degrees on May 23, 1963 and 30 degrees on May 24, 1963.
12. On May 22, 2002 at Parkersburg, WV the temperature fell to 30 degree F. This broke the daily record of 22 degrees set back in 1985 but this is also the latest in the spring that a freezing temperature has been recorded. Records for the sattion bagan in 1889.
13. On May 22, 2002 the temperature fell to 37 degrees F. at the Tri-Cities AP in Bristol, TN. This broke the old daily record of 29 set in 1997 but it was also the fifth day in a row that new low temperature was set at the station.
14. The high temperature at McGrath, AK was 78 degrees F on May 22, 2002. This broke the daily record of 74 degrees set in 1963 but was also the fifth day in a row with record high temperatures for the station. An additional daily maximum temperature record was set on May 25th as well and May 26th saw the eighth record high temperature set out of the last nine days.
15. On May 23, 2002 the temperature fell to 37 degrees F. at Charlotte, NC. This broke the daily record of 41 degrees set in 1883 but also is a new record for coldest temperature recorded so late in the Spring. The previous record for the latest cold temperature was 34 degrees recorded on May 18, 1973.
16. On May 25, 2002 the temperature fell to 28 degrees F. at the Marquette NWS office in Negaunee Township, MI. This broke the daily record of 29 degrees set in 1969 and 1998. This was also the fifth record low temperature to be tied of broken since May 19th. The lowest temperature in May at Marquette was 17 degrees recorded on May 9, 1983. Also, the high temperatrure rose to only 43 degrees F. which is a record low maximum for May 25th and the fourth such record for the month, the previous record was 44 degrees set in 1983. This was also the 16th day of the month which the temperature failed to reach 50 degrees a record number for May. The old record was 13 days set in 1967, 1970 and 1973. Weather records for the station date back to 1961.
17. The all time record high for the month of May was tied at Hill City, KS on May 31, 2002. The temperature on the 31st of May 2002 reached 101 degrees F., tying the all time record high for the month previously set on May 24, 1953. Additional all time extreme May temperature records were also tied at Colby and Tribune Kansas as well. At Colby , the temperature reached 102 degrees F tying the previoud record set on May 18, 1996 and May 17, 1927. At Tribune, the temperature reached 102 as well tying the previous record set on May 18, 1996.
18. The temperature on May 31, 2002 reached 109 degrees F at Safford and 105 degrees at Douglas, both in Arizona. These are both new record highs for the month of May. The old record for Safford was 108 set on May 30, 2000 and 103 at Douglas set on May 29, 2000.
19. The temperature on May 31, 2002 reached 102 degrees F. at Pueblo, CO. This was a new record high for the date, the old record was 95 degrees which was set in 1961 ans 2000. This also tied the record high temperature for the month of May last set on May 29 and 30, 2000.
20. Over 250 daily record highs were set across the United States at the end of the month. Over 75 stations in the states of UT, NV, CO, WY. AZ, NE, KS, and NM reported new record highs
during the last two days in May 2002. See the
Weekly Weather and Crop Bulletin - PDF file (page 5) for a list of stations with record tying or new record highs for May 2002.
1. On May 14, 2002 Caribou, ME measured 2.7 inches of snow. The snow began after daybreak and accumulated during the late morning and midday and then changed to rain in the afternoon. Moderate to heavy snow rates during the event were able to overcome the melting effect of diffuse mid May solar radiation which usually prevents daytime snow accumulating so late in the season. The prior record for accumulating snow so late in the season was 5.6 inches which fell on May 12, 1996. However, records for the station begin in 1939. There have been earlier historical late season snowstorms which were recorded by stations to our south in New England but no records for these events exist for the Caribou region.
2. On May 18, 2002 a record breaking 2.2 inches of snow fell in Albany, NY. This was the first time that snow has fallen at the station on that date. The record May snowfall is 5.0 inches which fell on one day, May 10, 1945. The 2.2 inches on the 18th is the latest date for measurable snowfall at the station and the monthly total of 2.2 inches makes May 2002, the second snowiest on record. The latest last spring date that a trace of snowfall has fallen was on May 28, 1902.
3. At Binghamton, NY 1.7 inches of snow fell on May 18, 2002. This ties for the third greatest snowfall in May. The greatest May 24 hour snowfall was 3.4 inches on May 9, 1966. This snowfall ties for the latest in the spring that snow has fallen, the other date was May 18, 1973 when 0.7 inches of snow fell. The May 2002 snowfall total is 1.7 inches, the fourth snowiest on record.
4. At Worcester, MA 0.7 inches of snow fell on May 18, 2002. This broke the daily record of a trace of snow set in 1931. This also established a new record date for the latest measurable snowfall in May. The old record was 1.5 inches on May 11, 1945.