1. On August 18, 2002 Boston had its eighth straight day of a heat wave and tied with the longest consecutive string of days with 90 degrees or hotter in August. The previous eight day stretch occurred from August 10 to August 17 in 1944. The all time consecutive days of 90 or higher in a summer season is 9 days from July 3 through July 11 in 1912.
2. On August 18, 2002 Blue Hill, MA set an all time record heat wave. The temperature rose to 90 degrees F on the 18th, making it the 9th day in a row with temperatures 90 degrres or better. The old record was 8 days which ran from August 10-17, 1944.
1. On August 15th, 2002 Galveston,TX (Scholes Field) picked up 11.46 inches of rain. This broke the daily record of 3.53 inches set in 1894. This was also the wettest day ever in August. The old August record was 10.86 set on August 31, 1981. Precipitation records for the station began in 1871.
2. On August 16, 2002 4.22 inches of rain fell at Lincoln, IL. This broke the daily record of 1.93 inches set back in 1987. This also is a new August daily precipitation record breaking the old record of 3.51 inches recorded on August 30, 1959. The single day record for the station stands at 5.22 inches set on May 12, 1914.
3. On August 22, 2002 the Dubuque, IA airport reported 8.96 inches of rain in the 24 hour period ending at 1 PM. This is a new record for the most rain in 24 hours breaking the old 24 hour record of 8.85 inches on September 14, 1967.
4. August 2002 had 16 measurable days with rainfall in Glasgow, Montana. This broke the previous record of 15 days which was set during August 1944.
5. August 2002 was the driest August on record for Caribou, Maine. The monthly total precipitation was just 0.55 inches. The previous driest August was in 1981 when 0.93 inches of rain fell.
6. Watertown, South Dakota recorded 4.32 inches of rain on August 20, 2002. This broke the daily record precipitation record of 2.38 inches set in 1966. This is also a new daily record for the month of August, the old record was 3.37 set on August 4, 1994. The all time daily record of 7.14 inches was set on May 27, 1931.
7. August 2002 was also the driest August on record at Blacksburg, VA. The station received 0.88 inches of precipitation or about 24% of normal. The old record was 1.24 inches in 1957.
8. August 2002 was the wettest August on record at Port Alexander, AK. The station received 29.80 inches or about 268% of normal. The old record was 25.71 inches set in 1956.