1. On May 3rd, 2001 Portland, ME reached 92 degrees F which obliterated the old record of 74 degrees F set in 1969. The station also set the warmest low and warmest average with temperatures of 57 and 75 degrees respectively and earased the old respective marks of 54 in 1949 and 60 in 1942 and 1969. In the 61 years of records at the airport throught May 3rd, 2001 the airport has recorded only 12 maxima of 90 degrees or higher in May. The city office archive which date from 1874-1940, just 11 May maxima of 90 degrees or higher have been recorded.
2. The maximum temperature in Fresno, CA reached 100 degrees F. on May 24th, 2001. This was the 7th day this month that the temperature has reached or exceeded 100 degrees. This is a new record for the total number of days with the maximum temperature at or above 100 degrees. The old record of six days was set on May 23rd, 2001.
3. 1. In May 2001 the monthly average temperature at Sacramento was 74.7 degrees F. This is a new monthly average temperature breaking the old record of 74.5 F set back in May of 1997.
1. May 2001 was the wettest May on record for Charleston, WV. The monthly total rainfall was was 8.76 inches which is 5.06 inches above normal. The previous wettest May was back in 1919 when 7.77 inches of rain fell.
2. May 2001 was the driest May ever recorded at Page field in Fort Myers, FL. The monthly total precipitation was just 0.20 inches breaking the old record of 0.34 inches recorded in May 1994.
3. At Tampa, FL only a trace of rain fell during May 2001. This is the driest May on record and breaks the old record of 0.02 inches recorded just last year in May 2000.
4. Grand Rapids, MI recorded 10.01 inches of rain in May 2001. This is a new record May rainfall, the old record was set just last year in May 2000 when 9.59 inches of rain fell.