1. The temperatures fell to 39 degrees F at Muskegon, MI on the morning of July 2nd, 2001. This was a new record low for the date and for the month of July 2001. The old daily record was 44 degrees set in 1995 and the old monthly record was 40 degrees set on july 11th, 1945.
2. Two cool July's in a row for Allentown, PA with one a record breaker. July 2001 was the coolest July on record for Allentown, PA and the Lehigh Valley. The preliminary monthly mean temperature was 68.9 degrees breaking the old July mean temperature of 69.9 degrees set back in 1956. The July 2000 mean temperature was 70.2 degrees, the fourth coolest on record. Records for Allentown date back to 1922.
3. The preliminary monthly mean temperature at Atlantic City, NJ was 71.5 degrees F. This makes July 2001 the coolest July on record, the previous cool July was just last year in 2000 with a monthly mean temperature of 71.7 degrees.
1. At Bakersfield, CA a trace of rain was recorded on the 4th and .05 fell on the 6th. These were both record rainfalls for the date. The most ever to fall on a July day at the official airport location was .30 inches on July 30th, 1965.
2. On July 9th, 2001 the Chadron, Nebraska airport received 2.27 inches of rain for the day. This broke the daily record of .87 inches received in 1958. The daily total of 2.27 inches is also a new July 24 hour rainfall record. The previous 24 hour record rainfall for July was 1.95 received on July 25th, 1965.
3. July 2001 was dry in Rockford, IL. The monthly total rainfall was just 0.75 inches which broke the old record of 0.79 inches set back in 1991.
4. On July 26th, 2001, 5.45 inches of rain fell at Jackson, Mississippi. This is a new daily July record for rainfall, the old daily July record was 4.98 inches set on July 17th, 1933.
5. During July 2001 only 0.07 inches of rain fell at the airport in Fort Smith, AR. This broke the old July monthly mimimum rainfall record of 0.08 inches which fell in July of 1999.
6. During July 2001 only 0.04 inches of rain fell at the airport in Amarillo, TX. This broke the old July monthly minimum rainfall record of 0.12 inches set in July 1946.
7. On July 25th, 2001, 6.24 inches of rain fell at Athens, GA. This is a new daily July record for rainfall, the old daily July record was 4.12 inches set on July 18th, 1964.
1. At Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN the dewpoint dropped to 70 degrees on July 31st at 600 PM, that ended a stretch of 28 consecutive hours with the dewpoint equal to or greater than 74 degrees. This broke the 25 hour consecutive hour record of equal to or greater than 74 degrees set on July 3-4, 1977.