1. The daily average temperature has been above normal for 53 days from October 30th through December 24th, 2001 at Marquette, Michigan. Weather records for the station began in 1961. Similar conditions prevailed across other stations in the upper midwest.
2. Rochester's MN this season finally had a high temperature below the freezing mark on December 23rd when the temperature only reached 23 degrees for the daily high temperature. This was the latest in the season that Rochester has gone without having a high temperature below freezing. The old record was December
5th, 1999. Also the low temperature finally fell below 20 degrees on December 9th, 2001. This was the latest in Autumn
for this to occur. The previous latest date for a 20 degree reading was December 5th in 1962.
3. The December 2001 monthly mean temperature was 42.5 degrees F. at the New Castle County Airport in Wilmington, DE. This was the warmest mean temperature on record for December. The old record was 42.2 degrees, records for the station begin in 1894.
4. The December 2001 monthly mean temperature was 26.5 degrees F. at Caribou, ME. This was the warmest mean temperature on record for December. The old record was 26.2 degrees set in 1996.
5. The December 2001 monthly mean temperature was 34.8 degrees F. at Portland, ME. This was the warmest mean temperature on record for December. The old record was 34.5 degrees set in 1996. The monthly normal temperature is 26.5 degrees.
1. Buffalo, NY had less than 2 inches of snow for the month of December up until a few days before Christmas. Record setting lake effect snowfalls then hit the region from December 24th to December 28th, 2001. During that 5 day period, two of the top four greatest 24 hour snowfalls on record were reported. On Dcemmber 24-25th, the 4th greatest 24 hour snowfall of 25.2 inches was recorded, then on December 27th-28th, the 2nd greatest 24 hour snowfall of 35.4 inches hit the area. The greatest 24 hour snowfall of 37.9 inches still stands in the record books. The monthly snowfall of 82.7 inches is a new record for any month. The old record was 68.4 inches set in December 1985, normal December snowfall is about 24 inches. The snow depth on the 28th was recorded at 44 inches which broke the previous record of 42 inches set on February 5-6, 1977. These snowfall records are particularly remarkable in light of the fact that no snow fell in November 2000 which is a new record.
1. The annual precipitation in Charlotte, NC for 2001 was only 26.33 inches. This is the lowest official annual total ever recorded around the city. This amount is 16.86 inches below the normal annual precipitation value of 43.09 inches. The second driest year was 1986 when only 26.91 inches of precipitation was recorded.
2. The average annual temperature at the Austin Bergstrom Intl AP, TX was 66.7 degrees F. which is the coolest year on record. The old record was 66.8 degrees set in 1976, the normal annual temperature is 69.0 degrees.