1. Minneapolis, MN set a record for its earliest 70 degrees reading on record when the temperature rose to 72 degrees on the 5th. The previous record for earliest 70 degree temperature was March 7.
2. At International Falls, MN, the temperature on March 5 reached 67 degrees and this was the highest temperature so early in the season. The previous record was a 60 degree maximum temperature set on March 3 of this year.
3. Eau Claire, WI recorded a maximum temperature of 70 degrees on March 4, for its earliest 70 degree reading on record. The previous earliest date was March 7, 1987.
4. With a maximum temperature of 67 degrees on the 7th, International Falls, MN set a daily record for maximum temperature for the 5th consecutive day. Also, this temperature marked a new or tied maximum temperature record for 10 out of the last 16 days.
5. Minneapolis, MN established a record for the fewest number of days between 70 degree temperature readings..from the last date in the autumn to the first date in the spring. The average is 175 days and previous record for least number of days was 131 days, from November 6, 1893 to March 17, 1894. This year’s record was 113 days, from November 13, 1999 to March 5, 2000.
6. The maximum temperature of 70 degrees at Duluth, MN on March 7 set a record for the earliest date with a 70 degree reading. The previous record was March 22, 1945.
7. At Green Bay, WI, the high and low temperatures of 78 and 43 on March 7 set records for the warmest maximum and warmest minimum for that date. The 78 degree reading was also the second warmest March temperature, exceeded only by the 82 degree reading on March 29, 1910.
8. The 72 degree temperature at Flint, MI on March 7 was the warmest temperature recorded so early in the month of March.
9. Detroit, MI observed a 76 degree reading on March 7, which was the warmest so early in the season. The previous record was 74 degrees on March 8, 1987.
10. Marquette, MI recorded a high temperature of 68 degrees on March 7, tying the all time warmest temperature for the month. This was observed on March 27, 1989 and March 28, 1986.
11. The 79 degree temperature at Waterloo, IA on March 7 was the warmest temperature so early in the season.
12. La Crosse, WI reached 82 degrees on March 7, which was the earliest 80 degree reading on record. The previous record was March 23, in 1910.
13. At Rochester, MN the 75 degree temperature on March 7 was the earliest 70 degree reading on record. Prior to the occurrence, the earliest was March 14 in 1910.
14. Both Milwaukee and Madison, WI set records on March 7 for their earliest date with a reading of 77 degrees. The previous record for both locations was March 20, 1921.
15. South Bend, IN set a record for warmest so early in the year with a 79 degree temperature on March 7.
16. Des Moines, IA set a daily record for the highest minimum temperature for March 8 with an overnight temperature of 57 degrees. The previous record was 42 degrees in 1992.
17. Lincoln, NB set a daily record for warm minimum temperatures with a 55 degree reading on March 7 to break the old record for the date of 39 degrees.
18. Minneapolis, MN set a new daily high record on March 8 with a 62 degree reading. This daily record, set in 1898, was broken at 1 AM.
19. A new record high temperature of 80 degrees was set at Flint, MI on March 8. This is an all time record high for March in Flint. The previous record was a 79 degree reading on March 25 and 28, 1945 and March 30, 1998. This is also the earliest 80 degree day at Flint, with the previous earliest 80 degree reading on April 3, 1963.
20. Marquette, MI set an all time record for warmth in March with a 71 degree reading on March 8. The previous March record was 68 degrees set on March 27, 1989....March 28, 1986...and March 7, 2000. This marks the 6th consecutive day with record high temperatures.
21. The 71 degree temperature on March 8 at Syracuse, NY tied the record for the warmest temperature so early in the season.
22. At Binghampton, NY, the 70 degree temperature on March 8 set a record for the earliest date with a 70 degree reading. The previous record was March 12, 1990.
23. Detroit, MI reached 80 degrees on March 8 and set a record for the warmest reading so early in the year. The old record was 76 degrees set the previous day, March 7, 2000.
24. The high temperature of 80 degrees at South Bend, IN on March 8 set a record for the earliest 80 degree reading on record.
25. Pittsburgh, PA recorded an 80 degree reading on March 8 to set a record for the earliest date reaching that threshold. The previous earliest date to record 80 was March 11, 1876. The mean for the date (70) also set a record for the earliest mean on record, which had been 70 on March 15, 1990.
26. Lansing MI set records for the warmest maximum and minimum temperature for March 8. Interestingly, the warm minimum record of 56 broke the existing record, set in 1983, of 35 degrees.
27. The 75 degree temperature recorded on March 8 at Rochester, NY set a record for the warmest so early in the year.
28. South Bend, IN broke their existing daily record of 64 degrees for March 9 with a 70 degree reading at midnight on March 9, 2000.
29. Muskegon and Grand Rapids, MI both set new daily records for March 9, with readings of 59 and 68 degrees, respectively, at midnight on March 9, 2000.
1. March 2000 is already the third wettest March on record at Phoenix, AZ. So far this month, 2.77 inches of rain has been recorded. Of this total, 1.53" fell on the 6th, the second wettest March day in history. The wettest day occurred on March 3, 1983, when 1.98" fell. The wettest 2 months on record are 4.82" in 1941 and 3.17" in 1983. This rainfall occurred following the driest October through February on record when only 0.01" of rain fell.
2. With the 0.06" of rain that fell on March 8 at Fresno, CA, the total for this year (10.61") has already reached their normal annual total of 10.60". This is the second fastest time on record for the location to reach its calendar-year rainfall total. The fastest time was in 1969 when the annual total was reached on February 19.
3. At Atlantic City, NJ, 1.98" of rain fell on March 21 and 1.26" fell on March 22. This rainfall all fell within a 24 hour period (3.24") to set a March record for 24-hour rainfall. The previous record was 2.80" on March 2-3, 1994.
4. Wilmington, DE received 3.21" and 1.96" respectively on March 21 and 22. The total for the 21st sets a 24 hour record, breaking the old record of 3.11" set in March 1978.
5. A new record low precipitation total for Jackson, MS was set in Dec-Jan-Feb, 1999-2000 with only 5.93" of precipitation occurring. The total was comprised of 2.76" in December, 1.88" in January and 1.29" in February. Departures from normal for these 3 months were -3.15", -3.36" and -3.59" for a seasonal departure of -10.10".
6. Cold Bay, AK set a March record for precipitation with 5.56", to break the previous record of 4.70" set in 1977.
7.March 2000 was the wettest March on record at Wilmington, DE with 9.14" of precipitation, breaking the old monthly record of 7.50" set in 1993.