1. Many locations across the southern Plains experienced warm temperatures in mid-February with many daily records broken. One of the more interesting records occurred at Amarillo, TX on February 15. Amarillo’s temperatures for the day (maximum of 82 and minimum of 41) broke both the highest maximum temperature record (76 degrees set in 1921) and the highest minimum temperature record (40 degrees) also set in 1921.
2. New daily records for warmth were set across the southern Plains in late February. As an example, daily high minimums were established in Kansas on the 22nd. The new records (and the old records in parenthesis) were Wichita 53 (49), Russell 51 (42), Salina 55 (43), Chanute 53 (51), Topeka 54 (49) and Dodge City 47 (45).
3. International Falls, MN set a new February record for warmth with a maximum temperature of 58 degrees on the 22nd. This value not only breaks the all-time February record of 55 set on the 2nd in 1991, it also broke, by a wide margin, the record for that date, 46 degrees, set just 2 years ago.
4. Grand Forks, ND set new records for February high temperatures on the 22nd, with 67 degree readings at both the Airport site and the Weather Service Office. The previous record of 66 degrees was set in 1958.
5. In Devils Lake, ND, the 60 degree maximum temperature on the 22nd tied the all time February record set in 1958.
6. Des Moines, IA tied a February record for the warmest minimum temperature when the temperature dropped to only 51 degrees on February 23rd. The previous high minimum temperature for the month was set on the 20th and 21st in 1930.
7. At Sioux Falls, SD the minimum temperature of 44 degrees on February 23 set a new record for the warmest February minimum temperature. The previous warmest minimum was 43 degrees set on the 21st in 1930. In addition, the 44 degrees reading broke the old daily record for the 23rd for warmest minimum by 12 degrees.
8. The low temperature of 48 degrees at Omaha, NB on February 23 not only broke the existing warm minimum record for the date of 40 degrees set in 1933, it also was 8 degrees warmer than the normally expected maximum temperature for the date.
9. South Bend, IN recorded a minimum temperature of 50 degrees on February 23rd, to tie the record for the warmest minimum for February. The initial record was set on the 25th in 1957.
10. Champaign, IL set a new record for February warmth when the maximum temperature reached 72 degrees on the 25th. The old record was 70 degrees that occurred in 1996 and 1972.
11. The temperature rose to 74 degrees on the 25th at South Bend, IN to set a record for the warmest February temperature. Interestingly, the old record, 72 degrees, was set just last year.
12. Fort Wayne, IN reached 73 degrees on the 25th, to set a new maximum temperature record, breaking the previous record of 71 degrees set in 1999.
13. Indianapolis, IN set a record for February with a 76 degree reading on the 25th. The previous record was 75 set in 1999.
14. Dulles Apt tied its all time maximum temperature record for February with a 79 degree reading on the 25th. The record was initially set on the 24th in 1985.
15. Two locations in the upper Mississippi Valley set new record for highest maximum and highest minimum temperatures for February 25th. At La Crosse, WI the high of 62 broke the 1876 record of 58, and the low of 46 degrees broke the highest low record of 40 set in 1880. At Rochester, MN the maximum of 58 broke the old record of 56 set in 1976, while the minimum of 43 established a new high minimum for the date, breaking the old record of 38 degrees set in 1998.
16. Port Columbus, OH broke their record warmest February temperature record, 73 set in 1957, with a 74 degrees reading on the 25th.
17. At Sioux Falls, SD, the minimum temperature of 44 degrees on February 25th tied the record, set just 2 days earlier, for the warmest minimum temperature for the month.
18. Zanesville, OH set a record for February warmth with a 74 degree temperature on the 25th, breaking the old record of 73 set in 1954.
19. Zanesville, OH broke the record 74 degree reading set yesterday with a 75 degree maximum temperature on the 26th.
20. Morgantown, WV established a new all time February record with a 77 degree temperature on the 26th. The previous record was 75 in 1975.
21. Pittsburgh, PA came within 1 degree of tying the all time February record with a 76 degree reading on the 26th. The record was set in 1900. Pittsburgh’s records began in 1871.
22. The maximum temperature at Jackson, KY on the 26th (78 degrees) came within 1 degree of the all time record set in 1996.
23. The temperature reading of 71 degrees at Buffalo, NY on February 26th set a new all time record for the month. The previous record was 70 degrees set in 1997.
24. Green Bay, WI recorded a 61 degree temperature on February 26th, to set a new record for February warmth. The previous record of 60 degrees was set in 1930.
25. At Wausau, WI the 59 degree temperature on February 26th set an all time high temperature record for February. The previous record was 58 degrees in 1930.
26. On February 26, Port Columbus, OH broke the record, set just 1 day earlier, for the warmest February temperature, with a 75 degree reading.
27. Green Bay, WI recorded a minimum temperature of 41 degrees on February 26. This ties the second warmest minimum temperature for the month. The warmest is a 41 degree reading in 1994.
28. Grand Rapids, MI set a February record for warmest minimum temperature with a 53 degree reading on the 27th. The previous warmest minimum for the month was 50, set in 1930.
29. Lansing, MI set a February record for warmest minimum temperature when the temperature dropped to only 52 degrees on the 27th. The previous record was 47, set just recently on the 23rd and 24th of this month.
30. The maximum temperature of 66 degrees at Muskegon, MI on February 27 came within 1 degree of the all time high temperature for the month, set just last year on the 11 th.