1. The high temperature of 92 F at Ely, NV on the 8th of August marks the 21st consecutive day the high temperature has reached or exceeded 90 F. This string of hot days began on July 19th and sets a new record for consecutive days with 90 degrees or more. The previous record was 17 days from July 8th to July 24th, 1988.
2. On Thursday August 10th, the low temperature at the Pocatello airport, ID bottomed out at 75 F. This ties the record for the warmest low temperature for the month of August. This was also the second time this month that the low was 75 degrees, duplicating the low which happened on the 2nd of the month. The previous record prior to these two events was 74 set on August 15th, 1929.
3. Record heatwave in Montana. Sunday (13th) marked the 38th consecutive day so far that Helena, MT reached a high temperature at least 80 degrees F. This is the longest stretch in the stations history, tying a mark set in 1967. The following is a list of the five longest periods of consecutive 80 degrees of higher days in Helena, MT.
LENGTH AVG HIGH TEMP
(DAYS) DATES DURING PERIOD
1. 38 JULY 7 TO PRESENT 90.5
2. 38 JULY 18 TO AUGUST 24, 1967 90.0
3. 32 AUGUST 2 TO SEPTEMBER 2, 1991 89.9
4. 32 JUNE 27 TO JULY 28, 1985 92.3
5. 31 AUGUST 2 TO SEPTEMBER 1, 1929 87.4
4. Las Vegas, NV had 21 days in a row with high temperatures at or above 105 F from July 18th - August 7th, 2000. High temperatures during this period ranged from 106F to 112F. This tied the previous record of 21 days set in June-July 1973 and July 1957. Also, high temperatures again returned to the 105 + range from August 9th-13th.
5. Ely, NV had 21 days in a row with high temperatures at or above 90 F from July 19th - August 8th, 2000. This broke the previous record of 17 days set from July 8-24, 1988. Also, high temperatures again returned to the 90+ range from August 10th-13th.
6. Grand Junction, CO, had 28 days in a row with highs at or above 95 degrees F. The string began on July 18th and ended on August 14th 2000. This breaks the previous string of 23 days set from July 9th-31st, 1994. The string came to an end on the 15th when the temperature only hit 94F.
7. Denver, CO, recorded its 51st day of 90-degree heat on August 14th which included 13 of 14 days so far this month. Only two other years featured more such days in the Mile High City: 1994 with 60 days, 1978 with 52, and 1874 with 51. It should be pointed out however, the new Denver airport is located east of town at a lower elevation.
8.The cooperative observer in Moab, UT reported that hey tied a record of consecutive days with high temperatures above 100F. The high on August 3rd was 108 (not a record), and was the 30th consecutive day with a high temperature equal of greater than 100F. In July-August 1980 they also had 30 consecutive days at 100 or higher.
9. The temperature at Hill City, KS on the 14th was hot 108 degrees F. This broke the record of 105 for the date set in 1952. This also ties the all time record high for the month at Hill City.
10. The low temperature at Little Rock, AR, on August 28th was 83 degrees F. This broke a record for the date (79 degrees F. set in 1990) but this is also the latest date that the low temperature for the Little Rock Metro area has been 80 degrees or higher. The previous latest date was August 27th, 2000. This also ties the record highest mimimum temperature set back on August 4th, 1987 July, 12th, 1930 and July 29, 1930. The low temperature on August 31st was 83 degrees F. once again which broke a record for the date, tied the record highest minimum and was the latest date that the low temperature has been 80 degrees or higher.
11. The temperature on August 28th at Memphis International airport, TN reached 104 degrees F. This reading broke the old record of 101 F set in 1990 and also in 1954. This was the warmest temperature recorded at the Memphis airport in 14 years. The last reading of 104 F or greater occurred on July 31, 1986.
12. The temperature on August 28th at Tupelo, MS, reached 106 degrees F. This reading broke the old record of 104 F set in 1954. This was also the warmest temperature recorded in Tupelo in over 48 years, since July 29th, 1952, when the temperature also reached 106 F. The all time high at Tupelo is 109 F set on July 29th, 1930
13. The temperature on August 29th at Mobile Regional Airport , AL, was 105 degrees F. This sets a new all time record high for the city. The previous record was 104 F. set on July 26th, 1952. The old record for the date was 101 F set in 1954. This also marked the eighth day this year that temperatures reached 100 degrees F or greater. This is a record for the number of days at or above the century mark. The old record was seven days in 1954.
14. A persistent ridge of high pressure in the upper atmosphere has resulted in an extended period of excessive heat across all of eastern Oklahoma and northwest Arkansas. Through the 29th of August there have been 22 days where the temperature has been 100 degrees or higher at the Fort Smith, AR regional airport.
15. Through August 29th, the average temperature at Little Rock, AR was 89.0 degrees F. This is 8.9 degrees above normal. The hottest month on record is July 1980, with a monthly average temperature of 88.6 degrees F. If this trend continues August 2000 will be the hottest month on record. Temperatures on the 29th, hit 109 degrees F, just one degree shy of the all-time record high temperature set on August 10, 1936. In that 1936 heat wave most stations in the state were 110 F. or warmer, many stations including Little Rock and Fort Smith have their all time record highs. Ozark, AR reached 120 F on that date for the highest temperature ever recorded in the state. For more details see the NWS Little Rock, AR Climatology WWW page. Also, the average temperature of 97 F on the 30th broke the all-time record high average temperature for any day. The previoud record was 96 degrees F and set on August 29th, 2000.
16. On August 29th, the Memphis International airport, TN, reached 106 degrees F. This broke the daily record of 101 set in 1990 and 1954 but also briefly sets a new record for the warmest maximum temperature recorded in the month of August. The old record was 105 F on August 27, 1943 and August 8, 1934. This 106 F reading also ties for third warmest temperature ever recorded and is the third warmest reading in twenty years, since July of 1980. This was also the fourth consecutive day of 100 degree or higher temperatures. On August 30th, the temperature reached 107 F. which is a new record for the warmest temperature in August and breaks the record of 106 F set on August 29th, 2000
17. San Jose, CA, had a high temperature of 66 degrees F on Aug 29th, 2000. This is an all time record low maximum temperature for the month of August. The previous low maximum for August was 67 F set on Aug 5th, 1999. The first day when the average high temperature is 66 F in San Jose, CA is November 11th.
18. Santa Rosa CA, had a high temperature of 62 degrees F on Aug 29th, 2000. This is an all time record low maximum temperature for the month of August. The previous low maximum for August was 63 F set on Aug 12th, 1965. The first day when the average high temperature is 66 F in San Rosa, CA is November 29th.
19. Livermore CA, had a high temperature of 64 degrees F on Aug 29th, 2000. This is an all time record low maximum temperature for the month of August. The previous low maximum for August was 67 F set on Aug 3rd, 1953. The first day when the average high temperature is 64 F in Livermore, CA is November 16th.
20. Santa Cruz CA, had a high temperature of 59 degrees F on Aug 29th, 2000. This is an all time record low maximum temperature for the month of August. The previous low maximum for August was 60 F set on Aug 29th and 30th, 1964. The first day when the average high temperature is 66 F in Santa Cruz, CA is December 21st.
21. On August 30th, 2000 at 2:30 PM CDT the temperature at the North Litte Rock airport in Little Rock, AR reached 111 degrees F. This is the highest temperature ever recorded since weather records began on July 1st, 1879. The previous record of 110 F has stood since August 10, 1936 and again on July 31st, 1986.
22. On August 30th, 2000 the high temperature at New Orleans, LA (Audubon Park) reached 103 degrees F. This breaks the all-time record high temperature of 102 set on August 22, 1980. At the New Orleans International airport location the high temperature reached 101 degrees F, a record for the date only.
23. The all time record high temperature was tied at Jackson, MS (Thompson field) on Aug 30th, 2000. The temperature hit 106 degrees F. which broke the daily record of 102 F set in 1954. The high of 107 F was also observed on Jul 29th, 1930 and Sep 6 amd 7th, 1925.
24. Gilbert, AR was 110 degrees F. on Aug 30th, 2000. This is a new monthly record for August. The previous monthly high for Gilbery, AR was 109 set back in 1947, 1956 and 1964.
25. At Lake Charles, LA on Aug 30th the temperature reached 105 degrees F. This broke the old record of 100 F set in 1913. The 105 F reading tied the monthly record set on Aug 18th, 1909. The all-timr record high for Lake Charles is 106 F set back on June 27th, 1940.
26. Wichita, KS sets a new record for the most days with 100 degrees F or higher in August 2000. The city of Wichita has 23 days this month where the daily high temperature reached 100 degrees F or higher. This broke the previous record of 22 days set in 1936 which was one of the dust bowl years. Records date back to July 1st, 1888.
27. El Dorado, AR high 112 degrees F. on August 31, 2000. This ties the all time highest temperature of 112 degres set back on August 10th, 1936. This is also the eighth consecutive day that El Dorado has tied or broken a record high temperature.
28. The high temperatures reached 103 degrees F. at Corpus Christie, TX on August 31st, 2000. This broke the daily record of 100 F set back in 1954 and ties August 9-14th, 1962 when the temperature reached 103 each day.
29. More Texas Records for heat.
HOUSTON INTERCONTINENTAL AIRPORT
HIGH TEMPERATURE TODAY: 107 DEGREES AT 300 PM
* TIES ALL-TIME RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE LAST SET AUGUST 23 1980
* TIES RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE FOR THE MONTH OF AUGUST LAST
SET AUGUST 23 1980
* SETS NEW DAILY HIGH TEMPERATURE RECORD (OLD RECORD 100 DEGREES
SET IN 1990)
* 15TH DAY THIS YEAR WITH A TEMPERATURE OF 100 DEGREES OR HIGHER
GALVESTON SCHOLES FIELD
HIGH TEMPERATURE TODAY: 100 DEGREES AT 216 PM
* TIES RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE FOR THE MONTH OF AUGUST LAST
SET AUGUST 25 1924
* ONE DEGREE SHY OF ALL-TIME RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 101
DEGREES SET ON JULY 16 1932
* ONE OF ONLY FOUR TIMES ON RECORD IN GALVESTON WHERE THE
TEMPERATURE HAS HIT 100 DEGREES
* SETS NEW DAILY HIGH TEMPERATURE RECORD (OLD RECORD 98 DEGREES
SET IN 1983)
COLLEGE STATION EASTERWOOD FIELD
HIGH TEMPERATURE TODAY: 109 DEGREES AT 240 PM
* SETS NEW RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE FOR THE MONTH OF AUGUST
(OLD RECORD 108 DEGREES SET ON AUGUST 16 1951...
AUGUST 21 1925...AND AUGUST 22 AND 23 1917)
* ONE DEGREE SHY OF ALL-TIME RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 110
DEGREES SET ON JULY 11 1917
* SETS NEW DAILY HIGH TEMPERATURE RECORD (OLD RECORD 105 DEGREES
SET IN 1954)
30. At Lake Charles, LA the high temperature on Aug 3st hit 107 degrees F. This is a new all time record high. The previous record was 106 F set on June 27th, 1930
31. At Beaumont/Port Arthur, TX the mercury hit 108 on the 31st and tied the all time record high set back on July 14th, 1902. The 108 F reading was a new record high for August. The old record was 107 set back on Aug 10th, 1962.
32. At the Alexandria Power Plant, LA the highs were 108 F on the 30th and 109 F. on the 31st. The 108 F reading was a monthly and all time high. The 109 F reading set new daily, monthly and all time record highs.
33. California Cool Temperatures for August
THE FOLLOWING IS A SUMMARY OF RECORD LOW MAXIMUM TEMPERATURES SET AT
SEVERAL LOCATIONS IN THE FORECAST AREA. NUMBERS IN PARENTHESES ARE
THE NUMBER OF DEGREES WHICH THE ACTUAL TEMPERATURE EXCEEDED THE
RECORD LOW FOR THAT DAY. ASTERISKS REPRESENT TEMPERATURES WHICH SET
THE ALL-TIME RECORD LOW MAXES FOR THE MONTH.
DAY 8/29 8/30 8/31 9/ 1
PREVIOUS NEW PREVIOUS NEW PREVIOUS NEW PREVIOUS NEW
SANTA ROSA 72/1989 62** 70/1992 64 65/1983 (7) 70/1946
KENTFIELD 66/1951 64* 64/1953 (1) 64/1966 (9) 69/1964
REDWOOD CITY 68/1999 65** 71/1999 (1) 70/1964 (3) 72/1951
SAN JOSE 70/1953 66** 70/1974 (4) 68/1964 (8) 70/1951
LIVERMORE 72/1935 64* 69/1966 (2) 72/1937 (1) 67/1964
SANTA CRUZ 60/1964 59** 60/1994 (9) 66/1994 66 67/1986
KING CITY 72/1957 68** 74/1956 (3) 71/1942 (6) 73/1964
* TIED THE ALL-TIME RECORD LOW MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE FOR THE MONTH.
** BEAT THE ALL-TIME RECORD LOW MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE FOR THE MONTH.
BEAT ALL-TIME RECORD BY 1 DEG: SANTA ROSA, SAN JOSE AND SANTA CRUZ
BEAT ALL-TIME RECORD BY 2 DEG: REDWOOD CITY AND KING CITY.