1. Numerous daily and all time November records for heat were setacross the Plains and northern Rockies on November 6-7, 1999.
Location Nov 6-7 temp Previous Record
-Billings, MT 77 tied 77 Nov 4, 1983
-Valentine, NB 86 new 82 Nov 2, 1965 and Nov 16, 1941
-Alliance, NB 80 tied 80 Nov 14, 1953
-Wheatland, WY 81 new 79 Nov 11, 1945
-Gillette, WY 76 new 75 Nov 6, 1999
-Rawlins, WY 70 new (6th)
-Casper, WY 72 new (6th)
-Worland, WY 73 new (6th)
-Williston, ND 76 new 73 Nov 3, 1981
-Bismarck, ND 79 new 75 Nov 2, 1978 and Nov 4, 1975
-Minot, ND 79 new 74 Nov 2, 1965 and Nov 5, 1975
-Jamestown, ND 77 tied 77 Nov 1, 1904,Nov 2, 1978 and Nov 3, 1904
-Dickenson, ND 80 new 79 Nov 2, 1965
-Rapid City, SD 83 new 79 Nov 4, 1999 and Nov 14, 1894
-Boise, ID 78 new (6th) also warmest so late in the year
-Pocatello, ID 75 new (6th) 71
-Burns, OR 70 new (6th) 66 in 1949, also warmest so late in the year
The maximum temperature of 75 degrees at Miles City, MT on November 7 was within 1 degree of the all time record set on Nov 3, 1909.
2. Record breaking heat continued on November 8th and spread eastward into the northern Mississippi Valley,records include:
Location Nov 8 temp Previous Record
-Minneapolis, MN 77 tied 77 Nov 1, 1931 also warmest so late in the year
-St. Cloud, MN 75 new 74 Nov 3, 1978 also warmest so late in the year
-Valentine, NB 86 tied 86 Nov 7, 1999
-Kimball, NB 83 new
-Omaha, NB 82 new 80 Nov 2, 1964
-Huron, SD 86 new 79 Nov 8, 1931
-Sioux Falls, SD 81 new 79 Nov 4, 1909
-Rapid City, SD 83 tied 83 Nov 7, 1999
-Pierre, SD 87 new 81 in 1931
-Watertown, SD 77 tied 77 in 1931
-Sioux City, IA 81 tied 81 Nov 3, 1978
-Miles City, MT 78 new 76 Nov 3, 1909
Gillette, WY 76 tied 76 Nov 7, 1999
Also...Grand Junction, CO recorded a maximum temperature on the 8th of 73 degrees to set a daily record. This is the warmest temperature so late in the year.
At Des Moines, IA the 80 degree reading is the latest occurrence of an 80 degree temperature with the previous record occurring on Nov 1, 1938.
At Eau Claire, WI the 76 degree maximum temperature was the warmest so late in the year.
Duluth, MN set a record for the warmest so late in the year with a 69 degree reading. Previous record was 68 degrees on Nov 17, 1953.
Of special note, the 89 degree maximum temperature at Kennebec, SD set a state record for the month of November. The previous record was 88 degrees set at Bison in 1931.
3. Record warmth continued to build eastward on November 9. Records of note include:
Location Nov 9 temp Previous Record
-Marquette, MI 73 new 71 Nov 3, 1978 Also warmest so late in the year.
At midnight the Marquette temperature of 58 had
already tied the daily record for the site.
-GreenBay, WI 74 tied 74 Nov 1, 1933
-Flint, MI The 73 degree temperature is the warmest so late in the year.
Previous record was 71 degrees on Nov 13, 1989.
-Detroit, MI The 75 degree reading is the warmest so late in the year.
Previous record was 71 degrees on Nov 11, 1964 and Nov 15,1928.
-South Bend, IN The 75 degree reading is the warmest so late in the year.
Previous record was 73 degrees set on Nov 12, 1949.
-Milwaukee, WI Just after midnight on the 10th, Milwaukee recorded a 65 degree
temperature which was the third consecutive day with record high temperatures.
-Duluth, MN The 71 degree reading is the warmest so late in the year.
Previous record was 69 degrees on Nov 8, 1999
4. Additional records were broken thru the 17th as the unusual November heat wave continued.
Location Record Temp./Date Previous Record
-Astoria, OR 71 max.-11th Warmest so late in the year
-Eureka, CA 62 min.-11th Ties all-time Nov high min
-Billings, MT 77 max.-11th Warmest so late in the year
-Sheridan, WY 81 max.-11th All-time November record
Previous record 78 in 1975
-Glasgow, MT 79 max.-12th All-time November record
Previous record 76 in 1901
-Laramie, WY 68 max.-12th Tied all time November record
Previous record 68 in 1977
-Pendleton,OR 80 max.-12th All-time November record
Previous AP record 77 in 1975
-Pendleton OR 83 max.-12th All-time November record-
City office record
-Walla. Walla,WA 81 max.-12th All-time November record
Previous record 80 in 1975
-Spokane, WA 67 max.-13th Warmest so late in the year
-Lewiston, ID 77 max.-13th All-time November record
Previous record 74 in 1934
-Omaha, NB 83 max.-13th All-time November record
Previous record 82 in 1999
-Rapid City,SD 76 max.-13th Daily record is 5th in last 7 days
-Duluth, MN 67 max.-13th Warmest so late in the year
-Des. Moines,IA 81 max.-13th Latest 80 degree temp on record
Previous record was Nov 8, 1999
-Waterloo, IA 79 max.-13th Warmest so late in the year
-Springfield, MO 81 max.-13th Tied all time November record
Previous record set in 1937
-Lincoln, NB 85 max.-13th All time November record
Previous record 82 in 1980
-Norfolk, NB 82 max.-13th Warmest so late in the year
-Portland, OR 71 max.-13th Latest 70 degree temp on record
-Corvallis, OR 73 max.-13th Latest 70 degree temp on record
-Rawlins, WY 70 max.-14th Tied all time November record
Previous record set in 1999
-Glasgow, MT 63 max.-14th Dly record is 8th in last 9 days
-Phoenix, AZ 90 max.-15th Latest 90 degree temp on record
-Cheyenne, WY 75 max.-15th Tied all time November record
Previous record set in 1891
-Laramie, WY 70 max.-15th All time November record
Previous record set in 1999
-Denver, CO 75 max -17th 3rd record high this month
-Salt Lake Cty,UT 70 max.-17th Warmest so late in the year
-Grand Jctn, CO 68 max.-17th Warmest so late in the year
-Valentine, NB 74 max.-17th 6th record high this month
-Rapid City, SD Average temperature for the first half of November was the warmest on record (50.5).Previous record was 49.4 degrees in 1917
5. During Juneauís rainy period outlined in precipitation section of the report, overnight minimum temperatures have been well above normal. The first date of a hard freeze (28 degrees F) occurred on November 27th, the latest on record. The previous record was November 14, 1952.
6. A maximum temperature of 80 degrees or higher at Austin, TX has occurred on 18 days, so far, in November 1999, which is a new record. The previous record was 14 in 1950. In addition, this threshold was reached on 16 consecutive days, also a November record. The old record was 11 consecutive days in 1980.
6. Marquette, MI observed its warmest November on record with a 1999 average of 37.2 degrees. This was 7.7 degrees above normal and easily surpassed the old record of 34.6 degrees set in 1963. Record at Marquette begin in 1961
7. The November 1999 average temperature in Aberdeen, SD was 38.7 degrees or 8.4 degrees above normal. This was the second warmest november on record with the warmest occurring in 1923 with an average of 40.7 degrees.
8. At Goodland, KA, November's average temperature of 46.4 degrees was the warmest on record. The previous record, 46.0 degrees, was set in 1914.
9. Topeka, KA set a record for the warmest November with an average of 51.3 degrees. The previous record was 50.0 degrees in 1913. In addition, the average high temperature for the month set a record (65.5 degrees). The previous record was 62.3 degrees in 1990.
10. November 1999 (7.8 degrees above normal) was the warmest November in Tulsa, OK since records began in 1905. The average temperature of 57.7 degrees broke the previous record of 57.3 degrees set in 1931.
11. In Burlington, VT, the average temperature for November 1999 was 42.5 degrees, the third warmest on record. Only the averages of 42.8 in 1931 and 44.4 in 1948 were warmer.
12. November 1999 was the second warmest on record at La Crosse, WI with an average of 43.0 degrees. The record warmest was in 1931 with an average of 43.2 degrees.
13. Rochester, MN experienced its third warmest November with an average of 40.1 degrees. The two warmer Novembers occurred in 1913 (40.4 degrees) and 1931 (40.3 degrees).
14. Minneapolis, MN set an all time record for November warmth with a November 1999 average temperature of 41.8 degrees. This broke the existing record set exactly 100 years ago (November 1899) with an average of 41.2 degrees. Maximum temperatures were the primary contributor to this record with an average maximum of 50.9 degrees easily surpassing the existing record of 48.4 degrees set in 1899 and 1963. The average minimum temperature of 32.7 degrees was only the 6th warmest for the period of record. The warmest was 34.3 degrees in 1922.
15. The average temperature in Phoenix, AZ for November 1999 was 68.0 degrees (6.1 degrees above normal) and was the warmest on record since the station was established in 1895. The previous record was 66.6 degrees set in 1995. The average maximum (81.9) and minimum (54.1) were both the second warmest on record. The records were 82.3 in 1949 and 54.6 in 1995.
16. The average maximum temperature at Milwaukee, WI in November was 54.3 degrees to set a record for the month. The previous record was 53.7 degrees in 1931.