The new NCDC IBTrACS (International Best Track Archive for Climate Stewardship) dataset will replace the track data described below in the next revision of HURSAT B1 data.
For more information on IBTrACS visit: http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/ibtracs/.
Best Track summaryThe HURSAT data set determines storm positions from two data sets:
- HURDAT: THe Hurricane data base.
- JTWC Best track information
Merged best track dataThe final product - a 3-hourly best track for all basins that was used in HURSAT - is available by FTP as global_tracks_3h.txt.gz.
JTWC Best Track ModificationsThe following is a list of modifications applied to the JTWC best track files.
- bcp021992.txt - Removed the last line as it repeated a previous observation
- bio031990.txt - Fixed the date of the last observation from 1990111400 to 1990110400
- bsh171990.txt - Changed the date of the 2nd observation from 1990022500 to 1990022600 (and moved it to the correct location in the file).
- bwp161983.txt - Changed all occurrences of year=1985 to 1983 (last 10 lines of file). This change was verified by checking satellite imagery for storms in both 1985 and 1983 (no storm was found at this location in 1985).
- bwp061983.txt - Changed all occurrences of year=1985 to 1983 (first 21 lines of file). This changed was verified by checking satellite imagery for storms in both 1985 and 1983 (no storm was found at this location in 1985).
- bio031980.txt - Observation on line 23 is a near repeat of line 11, so the observation on line 23 is changed from (131N,705E) to (171N,673E).
- bwp311994.txt - Observation on line 22 has unphysical storm motion. Location was changed from (296N,1578E) to (318N,1578E).
HURDAT Best Track ModificationsThe following is a list of modifications applied to the file: tracks1949to2006_epa.txt
- 1988 - Fabio - Changed pressure observation from 892 to 982